Lecompton Planning and Zoning Commission
Monday, September 11, 2006
Call to Order: 7:10 pm, Greg Trendel
Present: Nancy Howard, Jennifer Smith, Jeff Robertson, Kimber Richter
Absent: Darby Lohrding
Approval of Minutes: Jennifer motioned, Greg seconded motion to approve August 14 minutes. Minutes approved unanimously.
Greg Trendel sold his house and is moving to Perry. He will submit his resignation to the Mayor. Greg nominated Jennifer Smith to the Chair of the Planning and Zoning Commission. Nancy seconded the motion and it was approved unanimously.
Kim motioned, and Nancy seconded that Jeff be elected to Vice Chair of the P&Z commission – approved unanimously.
Terry Breason declined his appointment to the Planning and Zoning Commission. With Greg’s departure that leaves two posts unfilled. Bruce Liese will ask the Mayor to appoint 2 new members to the Commission.
Jennifer attended the Municipal Leadership Academy on the Code of Meeting Procedure. She moved, and Jeff seconded that we purchase extra copies of the code for the Planning and Zoning Commission members — approved unanimously.
There were a few points that she made from the meeting:
1) If a citizen makes a comment in our meetings, he/she must state name and address.
2) There are special rules for executive and study sessions
3) Email communication falls under rules for letters
4) 3 members, discussing planning commission business, constitutes a meeting
Other suggestions stemming from the Academy include:
1) We have a designated study period for each P&Z meeting to go over our zoning ordinance and comprehensive plan
2) We maintain a master calendar for the year
3) We change our bylaws, switching from Roberts Rules of Order to the Code of Meeting Procedure as the governing rules for our meetings – Jennifer will bring language to this effect for our next meeting
4) We should ask Sandy to notify us in advance of city commission business involving building permits – this may help prevent illegal lot-splitting that is occurring.
Bruce Liese suggested we invite Board of Zoning Appeals members to our meetings. Also, that we consider annexing blocks of land surrounded by the city.
Jennifer moved, and Jeff seconded, that we adjourn the meeting – approved unanimously.
Greg Trendel adjourned the meeting at 8:05 pm.
Minutes prepared by Kim Richter