Lecompton was founded in 1854 and planted on a bluff on the south bank of the Kansas River. It was originally called “Bald Eagle”, but then later changed to Lecompton in honor of Samuel D. Lecompte, the chief justice of the territorial supreme court. In the spring of 1855, the town became the official capital of the Kansas Territory. President James Buchanan appointed a governor and officials to establish government offices in Lecompton, and construction began on an elegant capitol building.
In the fall of 1857 a convention met in Constitution Hall and drafted the famous Lecompton Constitution, which would have admitted Kansas as a slave state. The constitution was rejected after intense national debate and was one of the prime topics of the Lincoln-Douglas debates. The controversy contributed to the growing dispute soon to erupt in civil war. The Lecompton Constitution failed, in part, because the antislavery party won control of the territorial legislature in the election of 1857. The new legislature met at Constitution Hall and immediately began to abolish the pro-slavery laws. The victorious free-state leaders chose Topeka as capital when Kansas became a state on January 29, 1861. The American Civil War began on April 12, 1861.
At one time, Lecompton had six active churches. At present, one church, the United Methodist Church, is still located in a unique building. When the Lane building was sold to the school district, the former United Brethren Church bought the Windsor Hotel. For a comfortable, easily accessible meeting place, they removed part of the second floor making a large, beautiful, high ceiling sanctuary. They also renovated the basement to give them ample class room space. The church is unusual in its appearance both inside and out.
In the 1880s there was some dissension in the United Brethren Church concerning secret organizations, causing the congregation to split. One group built another church on adjoining land which they named the Radical United Brethren Church. It burned about 1902 and a lovely limestone church replaced it. Today, the building is used as a polling location and community building for many special occasions.
When the wooden frame business buildings on the east side of main street (Elmore) were destroyed by fire in 1916, they were replaced with brick structures that are still in use. A mural depicting the town as it appeared before the fire is located in the local post office building.
In 1998, the Lecompton Historical Society had the good fortune to purchase and begin restoration on the remains of the native limestone Democratic Headquarters Building (circa 1850s). Originally there was a log cabin connected to the west side of this building located on East Second Street. Today, the historic building sits along the south limestone bluff of the Kansas River, overlooking the Kaw Valley basin to the north on a majestic Riverview Park area. This park area is open to visitors.
“Lecompton, Kansas.” Wikipedia. 23 oct 2009. Web. 26 Jan 2010.
Lecompton Community Building
Lecompton Community Building at 333 Elmore Street
Adjacent to the City Rowena Park
Rental includes the stone building and amenities inside
*does not include the pavilion
2 Gas Range Stoves
Full Size Refrigerator
16- 6FT- Tables
100 Black folding chairs
The Lecompton Community Building was renovated in 2015, it now features a new white oak hardwood floor, new paint, ceramic tile in the east entry and kitchen as well as a fully renovated kitchen.
$50 Rental per full day use
$30 Refundable deposit if clean up agreement is met
Payable with two separate checks
To check availability and reserve your date contact – Lecompton City Office 785-887-6407
Lecompton Community Pride Building
Lecompton Community Pride Building – Formerly Lecompton Rural High School
All brick building with handicap accessible entry on the East side of the building
Rooms Available include:
– Ft. Titus Room
– 3rd Floor Auditorium
To rent or check availability, contact Carol Howard 785-887-6691 or 785-550-7452