JUNE 04, 2012 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Mark L. Tunstall brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore, Lecompton, KS. Council Members Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer, Jimmy Wilkins, Susie Hackathorn and Elsie Middleton were present. The following were also present: City Clerk Lynley Sanford, City Superintendent Justin VanWinkle, City Attorney Lee Hendricks; residents or township citizens: Kathy Paslay, Bob Jernigan, Roy Paslay, Gail Tompkins, Pat Ragan, Cyndi Treaster, Sandy Jacquot, Brenda Hastert and William Smith.
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve the May 21, 2012 City Council Meeting Minutes. Tim McNish seconded the motion.
Susie Hackathorn suggested the following edits: Karmell Thacker’s dog was attacked not attached by another dog. The resident who had a complaint about the grass on the corner of 7th and Simons is Dick Hubert; please identify him in the minutes. Brenda Hastert has a “t” in her last name, which was left out; add that to her name on the last page. Revise the wording in the section “old business” – it reads as though Vicky Wells made the dog complaint, but she is the dog owner. State that it was reported that the pit bull owned by Vicky Wells has been seen several times in the last 2 weeks.
Elsie Middleton indicated she would like to see a change made in the section “Old High School Updates” – it reads “after the motion was passed it was noted that City Attorney Lee Hendricks provided suggestion on what the meaning of the motion was”. Elsie felt that was a confusing statement. It was suggested to reword the statement as follows “The City Attorney Lee Hendricks provided clarification of the motion passed”.
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve the changes to the May 21, 2012 meeting minutes as indicated by Susie Hackathorn and Elsie Middleton. The vote carried 5yays, 0 nays
Jimmy Wilkins motioned to approve the bills before the council. Susie Hackathorn seconded the motion. Vote carried 5yays, 0 nays
Gail Tompkins – Selling her trail park community – introduced to the City Council a potential buyer Pat Ragan who is interested in adding two more trailer lots. City council referred him to the City Planning Commission. City Clerk Lynley Sanford will let him know when the next Planning Commission meeting is held.
– Signed permit application for poles for TT Days so it could be submitted to Dg. Co. Zoning. Turn on date for the electric poles is scheduled for 6/18 there will be a charge.
– Review Street work bids – where will the City be allocating the money for the work? Lynley is to contact Jim Long and discuss where $ to work on streets can be moved from?
– Susie Hackathorn stated that a decision needs to be made at next Council meeting on chip n’ seal road work (meeting date June 18th, 2012)
– Review # of tables/chairs in Community Building. 75 Total chairs (including yellow stacked and folding) 8 – 8’ Mite-E-Lite tables and 7 – 6’ tables from Sam’s Club. Mary Jane Hoffer will be getting more information about other places to get additional folding chairs.
– Joe Schmidt request to stop trash svc. – Council said “no” unless he turns off his water
– MPO “open house” scheduled for June 20th from 5-8pm at Community Building
– Old Rural Lecompton High School (ORLHS) – Digital copies of original drawings of the Old Lecompton High School building – we are in the process of obtaining those
– Hand written check for RD Johnson – final payment in the amount of $104,073.85
Old H/S –
– Roy Paslay presented information to the council with a resolution to participate in the Kansas Pride Program and create a Lecompton Pride Committee.
– July 18th community meeting – discussion facilitated by Trudy Rice representative from Kansas Pride Program
– Next Old Lecompton Rural High School (OLRHS) committee meeting will be June 12th
– Pride committee President – Cyndi Treaster; Vice President – Roy Paslay; Secretary – Kathy Paslay; Treasurer – Nancy Ketter.
– City attorney Lee Hendricks facilitated some discussion and clarification of open meetings act
– Susie Hackathorn motioned to approve resolution #282 allowing the Community of Lecompton to be an official entrant in the Kansas PRIDE program. Jimmy Wilkins seconded the motion. Vote carries 5 yays, 0 nays
– Review Electric Meter Inspection permit # 12-207 – Territorial Days Electric Pole inspection
– Tim McNish motioned to approve the permit #12-207; Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Vote carries 5 yays, 0 nays
– Lynley call and check with AG Insurance for special event insurance for Territorial Days and for coverage on the old Lecompton high school.
8:25 pm Jimmy Wilkins motioned to adjourn the city council meeting. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Vote carries 5 yays, 0 nays.
Lynley Sanford, City Clerk