AUGUST 06, 2012 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Mark L. Tunstall brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore, Lecompton, KS. Council Members Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer, Jimmy Wilkins, Susie Hackathorn and Elsie Middleton were present. The following were also present: City Clerk Lynley Sanford, City Superintendent Justin VanWinkle, City Attorney Lee Hendricks; residents or township citizens: Lori Wilkins, William Smith, Vance Scott and Ryan McClung (with NexTech), Susan and Burke Wood.
Susie Hackathorn motioned to approve the July 16, 2012 City Council Meeting Minutes with corrections to the meeting date and bill approval date. Elsie Middleton seconded the motioned. Vote carried 5 yays, 0 nays
Jimmy Wilkins motioned to approve the bills before the council. Tim McNish seconded the motion. Discussion about what part time help was used for occurred. Vote carried 5yays, 0 nays
Vance Scott and Ryan McClung with NexTech discussed the internet antenna installation situation. City Attorney Lee Hendricks discussed concerns with the NexTech contracts and resolutions. One concern is the City paying for cost of Electricity to run the wireless connection. Ryan McClung indicated the usage would be miniscule, and it varies from City to City on which Cities pay for the electricity and which cities bill NexTech for the utility. Ryan McClung said that if the electricity usage seems excessive, the City could go back and ask NexTech to pay the cost difference.
Elsie Middleton motions that the City of Lecompton pays for the electricity to run the NexTech wireless device for the USD #343 School District assuming it’s a nominal amount and to revisit in 6 months. Jimmy Wilkins seconded the motion. Vote carries 5 yays, 0 nays.
Burke Wood presented a question about the alley way between Halderman and Elmore streets, in regards to him opening a rear driveway from his property line and doing some landscaping. The City Council agreed that if all adjoining property owners were in agreement with the landscaping changes, and the property owners and the city sign a hold harmless building agreement then he may proceed with his plans.
Elsie Middleton motioned to allow Burke Wood to put in the landscaping wall based on what was presented at the City Council Meeting, assuming the property owners and the City sign an agreement to include a hold harmless clause. Jimmy Wilkins seconded the motion; vote carried 5 yays, 0 nays
– Sink for H2O plant
– Street repairs
– Sand Spreader – Review quotes
– Former H/S gutter repairs – Review Wilcox quote/bid
Jimmy Wilkins motioned for Wilcox Guttering to perform the gutter repair work at the former Lecompton High School as described and for the dollar amount by the bid provided. Tim McNish seconded the motion. Vote carries 5 yays, 0 nays
– Skid loader basket
Jimmy Wilkins motioned to purchase a 36”x36” skid loader basket through Grainger. Tim McNish seconded the motion. Vote carries 5 yays, 0 nays.
Elsie Middleton made a motion to order a new Sand Spreader through Knapheide. Mary Jane seconded the motion. Vote carries 5 yays, 0 nays
Lynley Sanford – Updates
– PLHS – booster club support/request – at this time the Lecompton City Council has declined to make a donation to the PLHS booster club.
– Planet Aid – clothing recycling bin – at this time the Lecompton City Council has decided to decline having a Planet Aid clothing recycling bin placed in the City of Lecompton, because there are several very close in Perry and Lawrence.
– Donation from Friends of Sobriety
– Update on KMIT
– Update on KDHE – KS public water pollution control notice – permit renewal
Old Business –
– Former Lecompton High School – needing the roof looked at, areas where shingles have blown off – may be covered under warranty. Also A/C needs looked at, one unit has completely stopped blowing cold air.
– City Clerk Lynley Sanford is to call Lawrence/Topeka roofing about the roof issues and see what is covered under the warranty certificate.
– City Clerk Lynley Sanford is to call Lower A/C service to check the A/C issues.
Jimmy Wilkins motioned to contact Lower heating and Air to check two A/C units and have them repaired if repairs are no more than $500.00. Elsie Middleton seconded the motion. Vote carries 5 yays, 0 nays
No residents were in attendance to dispute or give input regarding the 2013 budget.
Susie Hackathorn motioned to approve the 2013 budget. Jimmy Wilkins seconded the motion. Vote carries 5 yays, 0 nays.
8:45 pm Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to adjourn the city council meeting. Susie Hackathorn seconded the motion. Vote carries 5 yays, 0 nays.
Lynley Sanford, City Clerk