AUGUST 19, 2013 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Sandy Jacquot brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore, Lecompton, KS. Council Members Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer, Jimmy Wilkins, Susie Hackathorn and Elsie Middleton were present at roll call. The following were also present: City Clerk Lynley Sanford, City Superintendent Rance Roberts, and City Attorney Jeff Heiman. Residents attending include Lori Wilkins, Sandy Nichols, Lana Keever, Cyndi Treaster, and Allen Jack and his son.
Jimmy Wilkins motioned to approve the August 05, 2013 City Council Meeting Minutes. Elsie Middleton seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve the bills before the council. Susie Hackathorn seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
July financial reports were presented.
William Klemme was not present – the council viewed a copy of a letter from Judy Klemme regarding removal of their property (wood and bricks) that was reportedly stored on a private lot not owned by them. The council determined this was a civil matter.
City resident Sandy Nichols was in the audience and stated she had not received a copy of this letter and requested a copy for her records.
Lana Keever with Mobile Lodge Communities – informed the city superintendent of a pot hole on East 7th street, in the south west corner of the trailer park that needed attention.
Lana also discussed with the council about the issue of dogs running at large. Lana stated she had been told that the superintendent no longer picked up stray dogs. The council discussed this and decided that since it is in the superintendents job description, he is to start picking up dogs running at large. The City Clerk will post signs in city hall and at the post office to give community residents a heads up.
Lana also asked the council to revisit the ordinance # 793 that sets the sewer rates for the Mobile Lodge Trailer park. The council asked the City Attorney to rewrite the ordinance for review at the next city council meeting.
Allen Jack – discussion with city council about nuisance/violation letter he received. The council set a hearing date for September 3rd, 2013
Cyndi Treaster – Kansas Health Foundation Grant – City Council agreed that Cyndi Treaster could fill out the grant application requesting $25,000.00 to make improvements to the PRIDE building which include: re-plaster and painting auditorium, tumbling mats for tumbling class, possibly dance teachers’ payments for the year and children’s dance class scholarships, refinishing floors, purchase of sturdy folding chairs, and a food warmer cart.
Susie Hackathorn motioned to approve allowing Cyndi Treaster to write on behalf of the City of Lecompton the Kansas Health Foundation recognition grant. Jimmy seconded the motion. Motion carries 5 yays, 0 nays.
Rance Roberts –
• No new updates on Shaner/LaCava stores
• Entrance aprons from 1023 to rear church drive and pride building – council indicated Rance should use cold patch and repair the transition so it is smooth.
• Man hole lid cover for sewer main at 1023/1029 intersection is repaired
• 3rd & Elmore a ditch tube extension and back fill is needed the city council would like rance to do the improvement
• Jamie Goodrick, requested a ditch/drain tube be installed in the alley behind his house. The council said that Jamie will need to take care of this matter on his own.
• Presented info on tower cleaning companies
• Review spreadsheet bids for security companies – council would like to wait till it’s closer to the end of the contract period to discuss discounts with Overfield Corp.
• SPD module at water plant – Council said get it repaired.
• Water tower light – discussed costs and alternatives to getting it repaired. Go ahead and get 2-3 bulbs and then we will have a tank cleaner do it during the inspection.
• Boiler repair/inspection at PRIDE building – boiler was short cycling at the end of last year, need to call Lower to get it looked at, repaired and inspected for fall/winter operation.
• AT&T update – change service to u-verse – upgraded internet speed to 12 mbps. AT&T sales rep also provided a bid for phone/fax/long distance. The council agreed if it is going to save money, to go for it.
• New city treasurer discussion. Tabitha feels she is not fulfilling the entire responsibility of being the city treasurer although she doesn’t mind doing it, she has requested that the city look for someone who is capable of covering for the city clerk etc. The council asked the clerk to post the job opening in the city hall, post office and on the city park sign and possibly the church newsletter.
• Susie Hackathorn motioned to transfer $50,000.00 from the City’s checking account to the money market account. Elsie seconded the motion. Motion carried 5 yays, 0 nays.
• The City Clerk is to collect rates for CD’s and interest earning accounts from First State Bank and Douglas County Bank so the council may review.
• Elsie Middleton would like to pursue investigating cost and options in creating a municipal court.
• Sandy Jacquot announced she will not be at the September 3rd 2013 meeting.
9:00 PM – Susie Hackathorn motioned to adjourn. Jimmy Wilkins seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yays, 0 nays