OCTOBER 07, 2013 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Sandy Jacquot brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore, Lecompton, KS. Council Members Tim McNish, Jimmy Wilkins, Susie Hackathorn and Elsie Middleton were present at roll call. Council Member Mary Jane Hoffer was absent. The following were also present: City Clerk Lynley Sanford, City Superintendent Rance Roberts and City Attorney Jeff Heiman. Residents attending included Jamin Nally, Lori Wilkins, Ronald and Karmell Thacker, Paul Bahnmaier, and Allen Jack with his son.
Susie Hackathorn motioned to approve the September 16, 2013 City Council Meeting Minutes with corrections, name Jimmy Wilkins as the council person who made the motion for employee raises and change the time period for Rance from 60days to 6 months. Elsie Middleton seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays.
Tim McNish motioned to approve the bills before the council. Elsie Middleton seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays.
Jeff Heiman started discussion about the Allen Jack property. Current photos of the property and photos from August were provided for the council members to review. The question, “does the city want to go in and abate the nuisance?” was asked of the council.
Allen Jack requested some more time to do more clean-up, then he would allow Jeff to view his property again and then if it’s not good enough, the council would have full right to access his property and remove his items. Mayor Sandy Jacquot stated to Allen Jack “if the City has to hire someone to remove items and clean up the property, the city will forward the bill to you (Allen Jack)”. The council asked Jeff Heiman if he was okay with reviewing the property again before the November 4th meeting. He said that would not be a problem.
Elsie Middleton motioned to have Jeff Heiman begin drafting a resolution to order the abatement of the nuisance issue and code violations on Allen Jacks property to take affect after the November 4, 2013 Council Meeting if necessary. Tim McNish seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays
Rance: updates –
– Meters/Lead EPA regulations – regarding the usage of current meters we have in stock before the new EPA regulations go into effect. Council agrees that it would be wise to use what we have, by changing out meters with excess usage.
– Reviewed one new bid on the waterline/meter work for downtown Shaner buildings. The council would like us to try to get more bids, Terry Breason excavating, Torgeson Trenching and RD Johnson and again try to get a bid from Morris and Hurd.
– Work/equipment sharing with township: council feels as long as the relationship continues to proceed smoothly they are okay with it, but would like to make sure the township administrators know about it and are okay with it as well.
– Dave Swisher new address 644 Southcrest
– For Dave Swisher – does the architect stamp need to be on the blueprints of the home construction? Yes, it is a state statue.
– CB: discussed flooring issues, replacement, Rance and Jimmy will get together and check out the flooring issue and see what it would take to resolve the “hump” issue.
– Heritage Grant – need to get bids and info to apply for the grant.
– Review glass repair bids for the PRIDE building.
Jimmy Wilkins approved the bid from Kennedy Glass to repair the glass in the PRIDE building excluding the tax on the bid. Tim seconded the motion. Elsie Middleton thought it would be appropriate to ask the PRIDE committee to provide some cost sharing on the repair cost.
Motion carries 4 yeas, 0 nays
– Review Treasurer applications
Jimmy Wilkins motioned to go into executive session at 8:06PM for 5 minutes to discuss the applications with City Clerk Lynley Sanford present.
8:11PM The Lecompton City Council meeting returned to order
8:11PM Elsie Middleton motioned to go into executive session to discuss non-elected personnel matters with applicant Ronald Thacker for 5 minutes.
8:16PM The Lecompton City Council meeting returned to order
Mayor Sandy Jacquot appointed Ronald Thacker to the City Treasurer position.
Jimmy Wilkins motioned to approve Mayor Sandy Jacquot’s appointment. Elsie Middleton seconded the motion.
Motion carries 4 yays, 0 nays
New Business –
– Complaint from Mike Brouhard about Vickie Wells property – trash, junk accumulation, excessive trash. Council will keep an eye on it at this time.
– Colleen Gregorie with United Way – would like to put a progress banner in Lecompton, the council agreed they could put it up on the PRIDE lawn near Halderman Street (southwest corner)
– Discussed the response to the USPS letter regarding post office closing
– Insurance Rider for haunted house is good, we will be billed for it this month all documents are filled out
– October 18, 2012 at 4pm, there will be a portrait presentation of John C. Calhoun at constitution Hall
8:45PM – Jimmy Wilkins motioned to adjourn. Elsie Middleton seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yays, 0 nays