December 1, 2014 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Sandy Jacquot brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore, Lecompton, KS. Council Members Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer, Jimmy Wilkins, Susie Hackathorn and Elsie Middleton were present at roll call. The following were also present: City Clerk Lynley Sanford, City Superintendent Rance Roberts, Part-Time Superintendent Jessica Dark, City Treasurer Ronald Thacker and City Attorney Jeff Heiman. Residents or township members included Jamin Nally.
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve the November 17, 2014, with one correction, change Dean Brouhard to Michael Brouhard. Susie Hackathorn seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
Jimmy Wilkins motioned to approve the bills before the council. Tim McNish seconded the motion. Council requested to hold the check for Interstate and contest the total amount of the bill, the repair was for an issue they were previously aware of.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
Jamin Nally –had an inquiry about hosting an outdoor community movie night in the park. Possibly having to block off a portion of the road (Elmore St.) for a few hours during movie showing. Council suggested asking Angie about City liability, special event insurance etc.
Jeff Heiman –
– Regarding Leming animals, after discussion, the property was grandfathered in as Agriculture and the use has not changed, therefore at this time we can go no further on this matter.
– Regarding the lot south of the lagoons that we pay taxes on, the council requested that Jeff go to the board of tax appeals and request a tax exemption.
Elsie Middleton made a motion to pursue the tax exemption on the property south of the lagoons. Tim McNish seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yea, 0 nay
– Updates on water plant, brine tank issue and park timers/park Christmas lighting.
– Council up for re-election: Mayor Sandra Jacquot, Tim McNish, Elsie Middleton – send certification of positions up for election.
Old Business –
– Report on cement plant
– Weed Nuisances: Council to review Belinda Janes yard at the next council meeting. Council requested a letter be sent to Dennis Hatcher about nuisance abatement.
– Brouhard dog issue, carry over to next council meeting. Sent him a 30 day insurance requirement letter.
New Business –
– E- communities accelerated program update (Elsie)
– Left over candy canes: consensus of the council to donate the candy canes.
– Street light pole decorations 11/18 & decorate park on 11/19 @ 10am
– Letter to Westar sent.
– Susie Hackathorn motioned to move $10,000 to capital improvement fund for park equipment. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
7:47 PM – Elsie Middleton motioned to adjourn. Mary Jane seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yays, 0 nays
Lynley Sanford, City Clerk