June 06, 2016 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Sandy Jacquot brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore, Lecompton, KS. Council Members Jimmy Wilkins, Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer and Elsie Middleton were present at roll call. Susie Hackathorn was absent. The following were also present: City Clerk Lynley Sanford, City Superintendent Rance Roberts, and City Attorney Jeff Heiman. Residents or township members included Lori Wilkins, Kevin Dark, Terry Maines
Elsie Middleton motioned to approve the May 16, 2016 minutes. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays.
Jimmy Wilkins motioned to approve the bills before the council. Elsie Middleton seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays
Kevin Dark was present and asked if the Council had any questions about the car show that would be happening June 11th. Kevin talked more about street closure from 344 Elmore to 327 Elmore, and block from around noon until 5 or 6pm, there will be a band from 2p-5p.
Jeff Heiman – No current updates
– Between the rain and water plant backwashing the Leslie farm’s is having a hard time getting beans planted in the farm ground at Duncan’s (North Clark street). Rance has a plan to run off water tower and Rural Water District water to give time for ground to dry out and beans to get planted. Timeline is about 5-7 days and then back wash the water plant when beans are in the ground.
– Part of the reason flooding may be an issue is the old settling pond has silt built up, the Council requested that we get estimates on dredging out the pond.
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to give approval to get estimates and hire someone for dredging out settling pond within a reasonable amount. Jimmy Wilkins seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays.
– Ditch work on North end of town and tree trimming this week.
– Discussed banking options – Council suggested talking with City Accountant Jim Long about switching banks and the process. Also to check with our current bank about interest earning public fund checking accounts. Put on next agenda.
New Business –
– Discussed 2017 budget – council requested City Attorney Jeff Heiman look into the tax lid timeline. Council requested that City Clerk Lynley call Jim Long and ask him to proceed with drafting the 2017 budget to review at the next council meeting. Possible look into raising the sewer rates, and not raising the mill levy.
– Territorial Days update – Electrical inspected, new pole had some things to update – when second inspection is done, then should be good to go on install and hook up.
– Elsie e-community update –community reinvention program: 4 day trip to Colorado believe Kathy Paslay and Historical Society will be going.
– City Sites map – Douglas County GIS is working on this for us. Looking great so far, will have a final draft for review at next council meeting hopefully.
7:49 PM – Jimmy Wilkins motioned to adjourn. Elsie Middleton seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yays, 0 nays
Lynley Sanford, City Clerk