June 20, 2016 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Sandy Jacquot brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore, Lecompton, KS. Council Members Jimmy Wilkins, Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer, Susie Hackathorn and Elsie Middleton were present at roll call. The following were also present: City Clerk Lynley Sanford, City Superintendent Rance Roberts, and City Accountant Jim Long. Residents or township members included Lori Wilkins, and Michelle Derusseau.
Elsie Middleton motioned to approve the June 6, 2016 minutes. Jimmy Wilkins seconded the motion, one correction to change the word “one” to “when” under the section discussing the new electrical pole for T.T. days.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve the bills before the council. Susie Hackathorn seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
Jim Long – presented a rough draft of the 2017 budget. Council had discussion about increasing sewer rates by $1 effective January 1st, 2017. Requested that a rough estimate on dredging lagoons and upgrading/replacing sewer infrastructure costs. Additionally the council requested that information from surrounding communities about connection fees to City Utilities for new connections, maybe look at increasing some of those rates.
– Met with Charlie with Kansas Rural Water Association. Looked at lagoon condition and talked a lot about our sewer. Will have more updates at next meeting regarding lagoon pumps
– Discussed banking options and the reason why Central Bank of the Midwest changed our account to a free non-interest bearing account. Jimmy Wilkins motioned to switch from Central Bank of the Midwest to Peoples Bank start with about $25000.00 and monthly deposits. Elsie Middleton Seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yes, 0 nays.
– Update from Lawrence Douglas County Metropolitan Planning Committee regarding sidewalks
– Westar Energy is being bought out by Great plains Energy. The parent company is Kansas Power and Light. Merger will take place spring of 2017. The council had 2 questions: Will level pay plans still be honored and what will Westar be renamed?
– Central salt won the bid for road salt from Douglas County Bid cycle. Susie Hackathorn motioned to acknowledge Central Salt as being the winning bidder for road salt. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
New Business –
– Council reviewed the City Sites map –Susie Hackathorn motioned to purchase 20 pads of 100 tablet style maps if the cost was $550.00 Jimmy seconded the motion – after looking at the quote the cost didn’t match and Susie Hackathorn withdrew her motion. The council requested to get a correct quote and review at the next council meeting.
– Appointment to Douglas County Emergency Management Board. Mayor Sandra Jacquot appointed Wayne Riley as the City of Lecompton representative to the Douglas County Emergency Management Board. Tim McNish motioned to approve the appointment. Susie Hackathorn seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
– Rance will have wastewater training and testing the first week of August
– Just announcing the fun services payment for the Territorial Days inflatables/rides was paid with regular City Checks and is included in the record of ordinance. Territorial Days will reimburse.
– Property complaints: 305 Clark – Ed Smith house: renters concerned about mice, and interior issues. The council discussed and the City of Lecompton does not have a rental board or any way to regulate the interior conditions of homes. Suggested to tell the person to check with Douglas County Health Agency. 534 Whitfield – Bill & Dorothy Smith property: complaint received from a concerned person regarding untagged vehicles and vehicles parked in the front yard on blocks that could fall over and cause harm to someone. The council requested that the City Clerk send a letter to the property owner and renter regarding the vehicles.
8:10 PM – Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to adjourn. Elsie Middleton seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yays, 0 nays
Lynley Sanford, City Clerk