January 6, 2020 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Jimmy Wilkins brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore, Lecompton, KS. Council Members Mary Jane Hoffer, Stephanie Confer, Tim McNish and Owen Mallonee were present at roll call. The following were also present: City Clerk Lynley Sanford, City Superintendent Rance Roberts and City Attorney Jeff Heiman. Residents or township members attending included Jamie Hatcher, Paul Bahnmaier and Matt Roberts.
Stephanie Confer motioned to approve the meeting minutes for the December 16th, 2019. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays
Tim McNish motioned to approve the bills before the City Council. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. What the road surface treatment purchased salt or sand? It was road sand.
Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays.
Mayor Jimmy Wilkins stated he would like to appoint Matt Roberts to the remainder of the vacated city council position. Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve Mayor Wilkin’s appointment of Matt Roberts to the vacant council position with a 1yr. remaining term. Stephanie Confer Seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 Nays
Newly appointed councilman Matt Roberts joined the council table.
Mayor Jimmy Wilkins made the following appointments:
– City Newspaper –Lawrence Journal World
– City Attorney – Jeff Heiman
– City Clerk – Lynley Sanford
Stephanie Confer made a motion to accept Mayor Wilkin’s appointments. Matt Roberts seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
Council discussed appointment to Council President Position. Stephanie Confer expressed interest.
Tim McNish made a motion to appoint Stephanie Confer as Council President. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays.
Council positions representing departments of the city were discussed, and the following appointments were made: Tim McNish – Streets; Mary Jane Hoffer – Trash; Stephanie Confer –Parks; Owen Mallonee-Sewer; Matt Roberts- Water
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve city council representatives to the stated departments. Matt Roberts seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
Electrical inspection permit no. 20-280 for new service at 619 Whitfield lot 18B. Payment for permit had not been received yet. Tim McNish motioned to approve the permit contingent on receiving the payment for permit. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
Council discussed if electrical permits needed reviewed by the council before being issued, or if they could be obtained by going through the clerk’s desk. Council decided they would like to have them through the council, unless an emergency then Mayor could approve by phone.
Paul Bahnmaier approached the council regarding a group of visitors coming to our community from across Kansas. They are meeting with the Lt. Governor. Paul asked if possible, the Mayor could greet the group upon their arrival. The Mayor will see if he has time in his work schedule to do such. Paul also indicated that the Douglas County Legislatures are meeting in Lawrence on Thursday January 9th at 4:45pm. Mayor Wilkins will try to attend that meeting as well.
Jeff Heiman –
– Updated the council regarding some potential lot splits and potential cereal malt beverage application.
Rance Roberts –
– Toilet repairs to 1st floor men’s restroom at PRIDE building are completed.
– Water softener for boiler at PRIDE building completed.
– Lift pump motor for lift station at water plant was ordered via approval from Mayor. Cost was $8000.00 installed.
– Discharge line for the water plant lift station pit leaks intermittently. Will repair when it we figure what is going on.
– Still issues with Regeneration mode at water plant. Think maybe the media in the softener is low and it’s not recognizing the softened water. Jeff with Tonka is providing information/advice to Rance regarding this. Working on determining level of media so more can be ordered. Hopefully this will fix the issue where the automated kicks off during the regeneration cycle.
Lynley Sanford –
– 2020 G.A.A.P waiver resolution no.305. Tim McNish motioned to approve resolution 305 waiving G.A.A.P for 2020. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
– Interstate elevator service agreement, premium increased $98.90 totaling $1063.77
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve the elevator service agreement with Interstate Elevator. Stephanie Confer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yay, 0 nay.
– Recycle roll off bin provided by Inland waste has been removed. Some people had dumped their recyclables off after the bin was full and the extra was not taken. The City Clerk took 2 full truck bed loads to sort in Lawrence. Much of the material had trash mixed in, resulting in the recyclables being put in the trash. Council discussed requesting a large bin be provided by Honeycreek. Issues with people dumping trash and other non-recyclables at the bulk bin were discussed and the council decided at this time they would not pursue a bulk recycle bin, but would inquire about cost in the event they want to pursue it in the future.
Old Business –
– General information update for all council members regarding finances and account status, procedures and practices.
New Business –
– Jimmy Wilkins discussed with the council future staffing needs
7:58PM Tim McNish motioned to go into executive session to discuss non-elected personnel matters. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. City Clerk Lynley Sanford and Superintendent Rance Roberts were asked to stay. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
8:13pm Mayor declared executive session ended and returned to open council meeting.
Council asked if letters concerning yard conditions had been sent out. Letters had been sent; no responses from recipients.
8:17 PM – Stephanie Confer motioned to adjourn. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yays, 0 nays
Lynley Sanford, City Clerk