September 7, 2021 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Jimmy Wilkins brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore St. Lecompton, KS. Council Members Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer, Stephanie Confer, and Matt Roberts were present at roll call. Councilman Owen Mallonee was absent. The following were also present: City Clerk Lynley Sanford, City Superintendent Rance Roberts and City Attorney Jeff Heiman. There were no residents or township members in attendance.
Tim McNish motioned to approve the meeting minutes for the August 16, 2021. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays
Matt Roberts motioned to approve the meeting minutes for the August 23, 2021 Special Meeting. Stephanie Confer seconded the motion. Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays.
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve the bills before the council, Matt Roberts seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays
Jeff Heiman – Update for 339 Halderman. Trendel still has redemption rights and could essentially get property back. The attorneys for the bank are working on extinguishing redemption rights. Currently the yard is still not mowed, the debris in the back yard has been picked up. The cleanup company has pictures of interior conditions and may be willing to share them with the City.
The council concedes that the property should be mowed. Call Nichols mowing and Cut Right Lawn Care for bids. Then have the property mowed and the bill sent to KC greater realty care of Trice Kelley.
Tim McNish motioned to proceed with mowing after reviewing bids from mowing companies. Stephanie Confer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays.
– Discussed pad for maintenance building, looking to obtain 1 or 2 more bids.
– Working towards grade work at the maintenance building/ finish installing drainage for water plant.
– Insulation of interior walls – heat & a/c
– Update, 3 vendors are working on bids for the digital LED marquee sign.
– Review fall newsletter information: additional advertisement Gina Schumann beef; & 4H; Big Springs
Old Business –
– Alley updates behind 432 Elmore – Breason excavating and Farmer excavating are coming to look at the work to provide bids.
– Heating/Air for water plant is in progress.
– Part time or Full time superintendent hire – city council asks that ads be placed in the LJ World, Capital Journal World, both Jefferson County papers, with LKM and KRWA.
New Business –
– Reviewed some information provided from the City of Lawrence regarding the 2020 population census and disputing the numbers.
– Review the letter from the Douglas County Health department to the Mayor.
– Council discussed the County consideration of moving to 5 commissioners, it appears the issue has died. Our County Commissioner Shannon Portillo seems to have no interest in our community. Has not called upon our office or attended 1 meeting or City Event. The consensus of the City Council is not pleased and un-impressed with the current representation.
7:48 PM – Stephanie Confer motioned to adjourn. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yays, 0 nays
Lynley Sanford, City Clerk