November 1, 2021 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Jimmy Wilkins brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore St. Lecompton, KS. Council Members Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer, Stephanie Confer, Owen Mallone and Matt Roberts were present at roll call. The following were also present: City Superintendent Rance Roberts, City Clerk Lynley Sanford and City Attorney Jeff Heiman. Resident or township members in attendance included Susan Wood.
Owen Mallone motioned to approve the meeting minutes for October 18th, 2021. Stephanie Confer seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve the bills before the council, Matt Roberts seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
– City Council reviewed bids for radiant heat to be installed in the new city maintenance building. Owen Mallonee motioned to go with the bid from Dunco. Matt Roberts seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
– Jim Hicks was contacted regarding the shoulder work along Woodson Ave. he said he has us on schedule to be completed within the next couple of weeks.
– City Council would like to see the trailer and Skid Steer on purple wave by next council meeting.
Jeff Heiman –
– Updated the council on the David Burbank property at 520 E. Third, and order of violation was sent, no contact was made to the City yet. No improvements have been made at the house. The certified return receipt was signed 10/23 – and the time limits set by city codes allows for the timeline to request a hearing expires Tuesday, and he has until December 7th to improve the property.
– Council asked to follow up on 339 Halderman with Greater KC realty.
– Water plant update – Dunco installed heating units on the mezzanine on 10/28. It looks like a nice setup and will work good and be lots more quiet than the original equipment.
– Lift Station had an issue on 2nd street – Floyds drain service came in and made the repairs.
– In working on electrical installation outlines on the maintenance building, what needs to go where and how much. The original plan was to use Kaw Valley Electrical to work on a layout and then obtain additional bids from that plant. The issue is coming up with what needs to be where and materials.
Kaw Valley proposed to save money, the City should buy the materials, and then would be billed by the hour for wiring. Council would like to consider this and review at the next city council meeting.
– Jayhawk Utility Billing Software assurance contract renewal. Stephanie Confer motioned to renew the contract. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
– An additional ARPA funds redistributed by the state, deposited $295.13
– Review DCF – Emergency Water Assistance Plan for residents who are having a hard time paying their utility. Had the attorney review the contract. General consensus, if the questions sent to DCF are answered and City Attorney is satisfied, proceed with submitted paperwork.
– Sent out requests for proposals on year end audit. Only heard back from 1 auditor. Hope to have additional proposals to review by 1st meeting in December
New Business –
– Lecompton Community Pride received designation of Community Pride of excellence award.
– Christmas decorations – do we want to purchase any new pieces? Council did not have anything specific to purchase. General consensus, if there is something that would make a nice addition that is reasonable, then go ahead and purchase it.
– Contact Evergy to get pole decorations up before Thanksgiving.
– David Hill with Mid-America Bank spoke at a public forum at Empty Nesters regarding tax credits for E-Communities. Jimmy reached out to a few people and businesses that he thought would be interested, Lynley reached out to a few people and Berry plastics that she thought would be interested. Dave with Mid-America bank is dog earning $5000 for Lecompton no matter if we actually sell the tax credits.
7:35 PM – Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to adjourn. Matt Roberts seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yays, 0 nays
Lynley Sanford, City Clerk