May 2, 2022 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Jimmy Wilkins brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore St. Lecompton, KS. Council Members Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer, Stephanie Confer, Tim McNish and Owen Mallonee were present at roll call. The following were also present: City Attorney Jeff Heiman, City Superintendent Rance Roberts and City Clerk Lynley Sanford. Residents or township members in attendance included Susan Wood, Kevin Kelley and Andrea Chavez with Peaslee Tech.
Matt Roberts motioned to approve the meeting minutes for April 18th, 2022 Tim McNish seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
Owen Mallonee motioned to approve the bills before the council, Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
Jefferson/Oskaloosa extension office for 4-H Day camp June 16th (Thursday) afternoon 12:30-4:00 use of the community. Requesting usage for reduced rate or free of charge if possible.
Matt Roberts motioned approve letting the 4-H group use the community building for the requested time free of charge. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
Andrea Chavez and Kevin Kelley presented an updated about programs available at Peaslee Tech in Lawrence.
City council reviewed sidewalk project and proposed a few changes and for a presentation to be provided soon
Jeff Heiman –
Updates on property’s that received code violation letters:
– 405 E. Woodson – Picked up letter and they have until May 5th to request hearing and until June 9th to abate conditions.
– 600 &1851 Diag. Rd. – As of today, had not picked up certified ret. Receipt mailing
– 645 E. Second – Has requested a hearing
– 421 Elmore – The property owner has received the certified mailing, the renter has not picked up the letter. They have until May 5th to request a hearing and until June 9th to abate the conditions.
– 409 Whitfield – They have not picked up the certified mailing
– 530 E. Third – They have not picked up the certified mailing.
Those that have not picked up the certified mailing – Jeff will mail out 1st class letter.
– Mike Leming culver tube on downhill side needs cleaned out.
– Are we still considering a new City Truck – general consensus is yes, we are looking for one
– What are we doing with framing up the office at the maintenance building and Electrical install and finishing gas connection. In regards to the gas connection, we need to find out what we need to finish so Gas Company will install meter. Get a hold of Omega door for garage door openers.
– Work on bids for water tower inspections
– City equipment will sell on 5/24
– Review updated bid for pad at maintenance building. Owen Mallonee motioned to approve the updated bid for concrete pad install at the new maintenance building. Matt Roberts seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
– Reminder – Vinyl flooring in PRIDE needs installed before end of May.
– Browns tree service will be taking down the tree in City Park on 5/16. Rance asked if they could cut the trees in the cemetery too. Council consensus, yes if Browns has time while they are here, they can chop up the trees in the pioneer cemetery also.
– Update to city council – lots of calls concerned over water bills not being received. They were mailed on 4/26.
– Update to council. City Clerk is taking time off from 5/20-5/27 – Sharron Roberts will be in the office during required office hours, but utility billing, deposits, etc… will be delayed.
– Anonymous letter regarding a new structure at 815 E. 5th. They did not get a building permit, it was represented as a carport, and we do not require building permits for car ports. Will look into this more.
– Patchen was awarded the bid to acidize wells on 4/20/2020. The project has not been completed yet. How much longer do we wait before obtaining new bids and going with a new company? We are starting to see a decrease in production efficiency. Total time since wells last cleaned = 6 years. Council agreed, Patchen has until next council meeting to start the project if they cannot get it done, we will get new bids.
– Mike Coffman called city office regarding violation letter – requests hearing. He would like assistance to clean up his property and an extension to get it completed.
– Review applications for P/T mowing & maintenance employee. The City council reviewed 6 applications
9pm Stephanie Confer motioned to go into executive session to discuss non-elected personnel for 10 minuts. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
9:10pm – Mayor Jimmy Wilkins brought the regular council meeting back to order.
Stephanie Confer motioned to hire Ben Mellen and Camerson Powell as part time summer help for mowing and maintenance. Both to make $15/ hours. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays. Ben starting as soon as he can, and Cameron starting 5/20 if possible.
Council woman Stephanie Confer informed the council and city clerk she would not be at the council meeting on May 16th.
9:12 PM – Matt Roberts motioned to adjourn. Stephanie Confer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
Lynley Sanford, City Clerk