July 18, 2022 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Jimmy Wilkins brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore St. Lecompton, KS. Council Members Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer, Stephanie Confer, Matt Roberts and Owen Mallonee were present at roll call. City Superintendent Rance Roberts, City Clerk Lynley Sanford and City Attorney Jeff Heiman were also present. The following residents or township members were also present: Jon Petty, Renee Oyer, Sean Tremain, Jeff & Tammy Morris and Susan Wood.
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve the meeting minutes for July 5th, 2022. Owen Mallonee seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
Matt Roberts motioned to approve the bills before the council, Stephanie Confer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
1. Jeff & Tammy Morris – 405 E. Woodson – Out house and back porch have been taken down. Roof repairs are next in the next couple weeks. Council asked they update in 30 days at the September 6th council meeting.
Jon Petty spoke with the council about the narcotics anonymous group keeping a locking cabinet to keep hand outs and books in at the community building. He provided a picture of the space and picture of the cabinet. Stephanie Confer motioned to approve for them to provide and use a locking cabinet to be stored in the back room of the community building. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
– Will be gone 7/24-7/29 – Plan on switching over to rural water during that time so no one has to worry about issues with the water plant.
– Updated the council about the age of the software systems operating the water-plant. It is very outdated and could “crash” without recovery any time. Expecting a quote from Tonka for updating the computer and software. Estimate is 6 months before one can be installed.
– Updated the council about the age of the back wash media. It is 15 years old, and the life span is about 15 years. It will need replaced.
– Reviewed the 2023 budget and RNR rate – reset dates for public hearing to September 6th for RNR and Budget hearing.
– Was contacted by Lecompton Community Pride, they would be interested in donating some funds towards the park improvement project.
– Curb inlet box – have contacted 2 companies for bids. Still working on getting someone out to look at the issue to see if this is the solution.
– Concrete for the City maintenance building, but was approved 10 months ago, no work completed yet. Council consider going with a different company? Council advised to see if obtaining new bids is possible, if so, bring to next council meeting.
– City received many applications for the Full time assistant superintendent position. Council listed 4 applicants they would like to interview as soon as possible. The council discussed a 6 month probation period. 8:011PM Stephanie Confer motioned to go into executive session for 5 minutes to discuss non-elected personnel, specifically to discuss and review applications.
– 8:16pm Mayor Jimmy Wilkins called the city council meeting back to order.
– The City Council body lead by council woman Stephanie Confer and seconded by Tim McNish requested that Mayor Jimmy Wilkins call a special meeting on Monday July 25th to discuss non-elected personnel and to perform interviews. Mayor Wilkins requested that a special meeting be called on Monday July 25th at 5:30pm for the purpose of interviewing and discussing non-elected personnel.
– Mary Jane Hoffer informed the council that she was able to get a grant that covered the cost of back to school items for those in the community in need. Mayor Wilkins thanked Mary Jane for all her hard work and time in applying for grants and in providing access to food, household and school essentials.
– Complaint received about the weed height in the ditch in front of Eleanor Lohmanns. Complaintant said the weeds impede vision to the North. Council asked that a letter be sent
– Complaint was received by a council member regarding the grass and weed height at the consolidated fire district station on Boone Street. Mayor Wilkins said he would reach out to the director of the Fire District to see if they would have someone mow it.
8:19 PM – Matt Roberts motioned to adjourn. Stephanie Confer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
Lynley Sanford, City Clerk