August 1, 2022 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Jimmy Wilkins brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore St. Lecompton, KS. Council Members Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer, Stephanie Confer were present at roll call. City Superintendent Rance Roberts, City Clerk Lynley Sanford and City Attorney Jeff Heiman were also present. Councilman Matt Roberts and Councilman Owen Mallonee were absent at roll call. The following residents or township members were also present: Lori Wilkins, Richard Nichols and Bill Edwards.
Stephanie Confer motioned to approve the meeting minutes for July 18th, 2022. Tim McNish seconded the motion. Motion passed 3 yeas, 0 nays
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve the special meeting minutes for July 25th, 2022. Stephanie Confer seconded the motion. Motion passed 3 yeas, 0 nays.
Tim McNish motioned to approve the bills before the council, Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 3 yeas, 0 nays
7:03pm –Owen Mallonee arrived at 7:03pm
Jeff Heiman: Property reviews
1. Richard Nichols – Vacant property at E 600 & Diagonal Rd. – health nuisance violation.
There has been progress made in the cleanup of the downed barn. Council asked to revisit in 30 days.
2. Mike Coffman – 645 E. Second – No representative present. Sale of the property should be nearing completion. There has been work mowing and cleaning up the trash about the property. Council asked to revisit in 30 days.
3. Steve Fischer – 409 Whitfield – Steve called into the office. He said they have been in contact with a contractor who has agreed to do the roofing improvements needed, they are just at his mercy in the line-up of work he already has scheduled. City Council said they would give it some time, but still monitor the progress.
4. Patricia Edwards – 530 E. Third St. – Accessory structure violation – Pat’s son Bill was present. Had started doing some work but ran into some issues with the extreme heat and weather. City Council asked to see some progress and to come back to the council meeting on September 6th.
– Water plant updates – went on RWD#3 while Rance was out of town. Had some issues with valves for water tower.
– Review bid from Tonka/Kurita controls. Council asked, what controller company does RWD#3 use? Mayor Jimmy Wilkins would like to talk to a company he is familiar with. Owen would like to visit with any company that comes out to look at our operating system.
– Tree in front of 501 Whitfield – Council suggested getting a tree company to have it removed.
– No updates: will be out of office 8/8-8/12 – Planned for Sharron to cover required office hours.
– Curb inlet box – have contacted 2 companies for bids. Have not been able to get either company out to look at the area. Mayor Wilkins suggest a company that may be able to concrete form something that we need over a pre-cast option. He suggested contacting Jetmore Construction.
– De-annexation Planning Commission special meeting date is set for August 24th at 6:30p. The Council asked if City Attorney Jeff Heiman could attend to give information or answer any questions the planning commission may have
– City park improvement plan – no current updates
o Public push for splash pad.
o Lots of interest in find grants for the City park equipment and possible splash pad. City council said to ask those with thoughts and ideas to come to city council meeting.
– Climate action plan meeting – looking at ways the City of Lecompton can become more “green”
– Panasonic Task force meeting regarding a joint effort for the large number of possible employees that will come with the new battery plant and how Douglas county and the surrounding communities can prepare for that. Will update at next city council meeting.
7:53 PM – Stephanie Confer motioned to adjourn. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays
Lynley Sanford, City Clerk