October 3, 2022 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Jimmy Wilkins brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore St. Lecompton, KS. Council Members Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer, and Matt Roberts were present at roll call. Council member Stephanie Confer and Owen Mallonee were absent. City Superintendent Rance Roberts, City Clerk Lynley Sanford and City Attorney Jeff Heiman were also present. The following residents or township members present included: Susan Wood, Greg Howard, Richard Nichols, Jamin Nally, Elsie Middleton, and Dick Wingfield.
Tim McNish motioned to approve the meeting minutes for September 19th, 2022. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Motion passed 3 yeas, 0 nays
Matt Roberts motioned to approve the bills before the council, Tim McNish seconded the motion.
3 yeas, 0 nays
Owen Mallonee arrived at 7:04am
The City Council considered the request for de-annexation from Richard Nichols.
Matt Roberts motioned to approve de-annexation of the property at 1977 E. 600 Rd. Owen Mallonee seconded the motion. Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve de-annexation of the property at 2037 E. 600 Rd. Tim McNish seconded the motion. Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays.
Matt Roberts motioned to approve de-annexation of the vacant property at 0 E. 600 Rd. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Motion passed 3 yeas (Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer, Matt Roberts), 1 nay (Owen Mallonee)
City attorney Jeff Heiman indicated that an ordinance to officially de-annex the property needs to be passed with the City Council. He will prepare the ordinance for the next council meeting.
Property violation Reviews –
– 405 E Woodson Ave. Has been provided 3 extensions. Nothing has been done. Mayor Wilkins will will call regarding the property and the council looking to move forward towards abatement.
– 645 E. Second – Mike Coffman property has continued to make small continued improvement. Council would like to continue keeping an eye on the property, but not taking action at this time.
– 409 Whitfield – Steve/Rita Fischer the council has found they concerns regarding the property have been satisfied and may be removed from the list of properties with violations.
– 530 E. Third –Pat Edwards property. Bill Edwards has been the contact person for the property concern. No improvements have been made at this property. The council needs to see something. Mayor Wilkins will reach out to Bill Edwards to see if something can get started.
– 421 Elmore – Willis property – Bonnie has reached out to City Attorney Jeff Heiman directly a few times regarding clean up. Junk vehicles have been removed, and efforts have been made to improve the property. The City Council agreed to remove it from the watch list.
New properties of concern the council would like letters sent to
– 530 E. Seventh St. – Ben & Sally Sanford for trash in drive way/front yard, over growth of grass/weeds and junk cars parked out front.
– City Council asked about 5th Street property, owned by Brazee Lily, LLC. No one has contacted the City office regarding the issue with weeds.
– Volunteered to reach out to Terry Breason regarding the 5th street property and driveway installation
– No council updates
– 1 park rehab bid had been received, still waiting on 1 more before council reviews – Ricks lawn service reached out, they do have a lot of sand containment border
– R.W. Vaught has not reached out to City as of yet.
– Kansas Commerce Dinner on October 20, 2022 – State business awards banquet.
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve the City purchasing a table, Owen Mallonee seconded the motion. Motioned passed 4 yeas, 0 nays.
– Council member Owen Mallonee noticed termite damage at the shelter house. Asked that inspection and treatment be provided.
– USD 343 applied for inspection permit for a temporary structure for an auxiliary classroom. It is a used structure. The County wanted to know if the city would require an engineering stamp for the temporary structure. Matt Roberts motioned to not require the stamped plans. Owen Mallonee seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yays, 0 nays.
7:52 PM – Tim McNish motioned to adjourn. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 4 yeas, 0 nays
Lynley Sanford, City Clerk