January 3, 2023 LECOMPTON CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
7:00 P.M. Mayor Jimmy Wilkins brought the Lecompton City Council Meeting to order at 327 Elmore St. Lecompton, KS. Council Members Tim McNish, Mary Jane Hoffer, Stephanie Confer, Matt Roberts and Owen Mallonee were present at roll call. City Attorney Jeff Heiman, City Superintendent Rance Roberts and City Clerk Lynley Sanford were also present. The following residents or township members present included: Jamin Nally, Kevin Confer, Paul Bahnmaier and Susan Wood.
Oaths of Office for City Council Members
– Mary Jane Hoffer, Stephanie Confer, Steve Freeman
Stephanie Confer motioned to approve the meeting minutes for December 19, 2022. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
Owen Mallonee motioned to approve the bills before the council, Stephanie Confer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
Newspaper – L.J. World
City Attorney – Jeff Heiman
City Clerk – Lynley Sanford
Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to approve these appointments. Owen Mallonee seconded the motion. Motion
passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
Tim McNish motioned to approve Stephanie Confer to continue her position as City Council President. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
Stephanie Confer motioned to approve the appointments for council representation as the following:
Tim McNish – Streets, Mary Jane Hoffer –Trash, Steve Freeman –Water, Owen Mallonee –Waste Water, Stephanie Confer – Parks. Tim McNish seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
Paul Bahnmaier spoke to the City Council with concerns over the Post Office, the function of the blue out-going drop box and asked that the City Council think about writing a letter to our congress representatives Marshall and Moran. Mayor Wilkins asked that the contact information for the representatives be scanned and emailed to him and he would create a letter to send.
Jeff Heiman – Property reviews
– 530 E. Third Pat Edwards accessory building. No contact has been made to the City office or the City Attorney. Mayor Wilkins indicated that Pat Edwards son had reached out to him directly, and is planning on working on the structure. The Council agreed that more time could be allotted, the consensus was to have Jeff send a letter. Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to make March 15th 2023 the deadline for accessory structure improvements. Stephanie Confer seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
– 405 E. Woodson Ave, Jeff Morris residential property –
– Big Thank you to those who helped with the water line repair at 7th and Jones Street.
– Working on claim for water line repair, making sure to include man hours, equipment charges, fuel charge, gravel etc…
– Resolution 317 for GAAP Waiver 2023. Tim McNish motioned to approved resolution waiving GAAP. Mary Jane Hoffer seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
– Resolution 318 for PRIDE program. Stephanie Confer motioned to approve resolution 318 allowing for the Community PRIDE participation agreement. Tim McNish seconded the motion. Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays.
– Review park equipment – some of the pieces being looked at might be a bit oversized for the area we have available. Council asks that the space be re-measured and take a look other alternatives.
– Dates for public forum regarding sidewalks – Thursdays are better for the PRIDE building. Looking at January 26rh. Consensus of the City Council is January 26th will work. Council asked public notice be provided. Jason will be at meeting for presentation/open house. Also, public notice for possible quorum of City Council at sidewalk open house and Douglas County Climate group meeting so we have no KOMA violations.
– Council asked that payroll be on next meeting agenda 1/17/2023
– It was mentioned that even during utility emergencies employees should be wearing safety gear such as reflective vests and should have road signs ahead of the working area to inform drivers.
8:12 PM – Mary Jane Hoffer motioned to adjourn. Stephanie Confer seconded the motion.
Motion passed 5 yeas, 0 nays
Lynley Sanford, City Clerk